Thursday, October 25, 2012

Kokopelli Trail....I Think So

It was Wednesday afternoon when I received a phone call from Mike a good friend of mine. Mike and I recently completed the Colorado Trail thru-bike in early September. He asked if I wanted to bike from Loma, CO to Moab, UT on the Kokopelli Trail this coming Monday along with a few friends. It was short notice, but my mind quickly started to think what would prevent me from my next endeavor.  Later that day I comitteded, and began to get very excited.

More research and another bikepacking list was in the works instantily.  For this trip I knew right away I wanted to use my hardtail 29er.  I particularly want to see how it rides in desert conditions as I plan on competing in the Arizona Trail Race 300 version this coming spring.  Just this past weekend I took a short trip to 18 road while visiting Grand Junction as I needed to pick up my computer and go to the Subaru dealer to get my car checked out.  The test ride was a bit rough but that's what you get with a hardtail.  I put on my touring seat, bought some new grips, and put on the pounds to test it out!
Here is my tentative setup for the Kokopelli Trail.
Very excited to use my new Ergon Grips.



Kokopelli Trail Gear List:

  • The Bike
    • Specialized Stumpjumper HT comp carbon 29er
      • 2X10
  • Wearing:
    • Sugoi bibs
    • Zioc shorts
    • Pearl Izumi base shirt
    • Sugoi jersey
    • Giro Dnd gloves
    • Pearl Izumi socks
    • Shimano shoes
    • Giro helmet
    • Smith sun glasses (replaceable lens)
  • Osprey Raptor 3L:
    • Water 3L Osprey bladder
    • Pearl Izumi knee/arm warmers
    • Smart Wool cap (fit under helmet)
    • Spare tube
    • Tire levers
    • Patch kit
    • Power link (10 speed)
    • Replacement lens' (low light and clear)
    • Map
    • Repair kit (small stuff sack)
      • Super glue
      • Extra Stan's
      • derailleur cable
      • Duck, electrical, athletic tape
      • String (for tire sidewall slash to sew up)
      • Curved needle
      • Rag
      • Aquia-mira (back-up water purification)
  • Revelate  Design rear saddle pack
    • MSR Pot and stove
    • Snow Peak Mug
    • Orikaso fold flat camp bowl
    • REI spork
    • Katadyn Hiker Pro  (water purification)
    • Bivy sack
    • Camp socks (warm)
    • Long underwear
    • Gloves
    • Hat
    • Camp t-shirt
    • Boxers
  • Revelate Design handle bar bag
    • Sleeping bag
    • Down Jacket
    • Mid-layer fleece
  • Revelate Design Jerry Can rear top tube bag
    • Crank Brothers multi-tool
    • Justins peanut/almund butter
    • Honey Stingers
    • Emergency packets
    • Tea bags
    • Starbucks Via
  • Planet Bike front top tube bag
    • Cliff Bars
    • Cliff Shots
    • Cliff Blocks
    • Snickers

This was the the exact same set up for my Colorado trail thru-bike.
Check out http://www.revelatedesigns.com/

4 comments:

  1. people have done it from under a day to 5 days! I think the record is like 20 hours.

    We plan on starting early Monday morning, bike all day Monday, Tuesday, and finish sometime one Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a good time man, I was just out in Fruita/Loma last week. So beautiful there right now.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Evan,

    Yeah I saw some pictures of that! its so funny I was out there a week before you and also last Monday-Tuesday! its just fantastic riding! hope the La Sall's are not to wet as that would be hassle, but were just relaxing and taking our time.

    ReplyDelete